Tips for getting your troop started

  • Have a meeting with all the parents before you have your first troop meeting. Explain your plans for the year – any trips badges, journeys.  Brownie troops are expected to participate in the Council fundraisers – selling cookes (a huge source of funding for your troop) and QSO (the annual sale of magazine subscriptions and nuts/candies).
  • Ask for volunteers – for a rotating snack parent, a treasurer, a cookie parent, a QSP parent, an annual giving parent, chaperones/drivers for any trips you are planning. Ask parents to come and share their expertise or knowledge with the girls.
  • Ask for annual dues. This will cover most troop activities for the year, the cost of the girls’ uniforms and badges, a first aid kit and any other supplies or materials you need. Most troops ask for $150-200 for the year.
    Plan the dates when you are going to meet, and decide where to meet (at your elementary school, straight after school, in the Girl Scout House on Wayside Lane, in a leader’s basement). See below for a Suggested Year Plan.
  • Get a completed medical history form for each girl. Useful to know about any allergies and essential to take with you on any trips.
Plan your year

Brownies can earn badges. There are also Brownie Journeys – a GSUSA curriculum – you can do with your troop.
For a great overview and planning guide, check out this Suggested Year Plan.


Every girl and leader needs to be registered with GSUSA. This ensures you are covered by the GSUSA Insurance. It is a good idea to register any parent who is driving the girls, handling money etc. Registration takes place between June and September. Leaders can register all existing troop members on line during this period. Troops can earn “Early Bird” patches by registering by the end of July.
Registration is now all online at
The SEGS Directory is made available in the fall. Contact with all corrections/updates for troop leader contacts and email addresses.

Other resources

Contacts at GS Heart of the Hudson Council:
Pat Elwell to help with registration
Visit this site to reserve the Girl Scout House


Remember at least one leader for each troop must have current First Aid/CPR, or be a medical professional. At least one leader must have Overnight Indoor Training (OIT) to go on any overnight at a museum sleepover or a girl scout house or cabin.
At least one leader must have Overnight Outdoor Training (OOT) to go tent camping. No exceptions!!!!! Get trained THIS YEAR. It is valid forever.

Ideas for your first troop meeting

How about working through this activity packet on friendship, which was produced by SEGS Senior Girl Scouts as part of their own Mission Sisterhood Journey!
See also this Guide to the 1st 6 weeks of Brownies – lots of good ideas!

Good local trips for Brownies

  • The Scarsdale Library Pond Nature Preserve
  • Greenburgh Nature Center, Dromore Rd. off Central Ave., Scarsdale. A woodland preserve with pond, orchard, maple sugaring site. Manor House with live animal museum, hands-on discovery room.
  • Weinberg Nature Center, 455 Mamaroneck Rd., Scarsdale. Educational programs for scouts, including Native American workshops available.
  • Stew Leonards
  • Danny’s Cycles on Central Avenue
  • The Scarsdale Fire Department
Remember you need to take a completed Parent Permission Form for every girl attending the trip with you ON EVERY TRIP.
Click here to see the required adult-to-girl ratios for meetings and trips at each level of scouting.
BK Mungia maintains the Community Log for any troop not meeting at its usual meeting spot, so please report field trips and other event-related travel to BK at 914-472-4053.